Several gunmen opened fire at two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand, Friday afternoon, leaving 50 people dead.
• New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described the attack as one of her country’s “darkest days”
• An Australian citizen in his late 20s appeared in court Saturday, charged with murder
• Two others were arrested in the immediate aftermath of the shootings
• Suspect reportedly uses modified semi-automatic weapons
• Major social media remove shooting video of terror attacks
The death toll in the New Zealand mosque shootings rose to 50 on Sunday after police found another victim at one of the m
osques, and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said bodies of those killed would begin to be released to families for burial.
Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, was charged with murder on Saturday. Tarrant w
as remanded without a plea and is due back in court on April 5 where police said he was likely to face more charges.
Friday’s attack, which Ardern labeled as terrorism, was the worst ever peacetime m
ass killing in New Zealand and the country had raised its security threat level to the highest.
More than 60 percent of children and teenagers in China do not get enough sleep, according to a report released by the Chinese Sleep Research Society on Sunday.
The survey showed 63 percent of children and teenagers in China sleep for less than eight ho
urs a day, the minimum sleeping time to ensure health for such a group, the report said.
The survey, conducted at the end of last year and January this year, covered nearly 70,000 ch
ildren and teenagers aged from 6 and 17 across China, including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.
Heavy school work loads and popularization in the use of electronics products are th
e top two major causes for lack of sleep among children and teenagers in China, the report said, addi
ng that 8.4 percent of the group are still busy with homework after 11 pm from Monday to Thursday.
William and Kate, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sus
sex, have said they have all spent time in Christchurch and its “open-hearted and generous” people.
They condemned the violence on the Muslim community, calling it “horrifying assault on a way of life that embodies decency, community, and friendship.”
”No person should ever have to fear attending a sacred place of worship,” the royal couples said in a statement.
Here’s the full statement:
Our hearts go out to the families and friends of the people who lost their lives in the devastating attack in Christchurch.
We have all been fortunate to spend time in Christchurch and have felt the warm, open-hearted and generous spirit that is core to its remarkable people.
No person should ever have to fear attending a sacred place of worship.
This senseless attack is an affront to the people of Christchurch and New Zealand, and the broader Muslim comm
unity. It is a horrifying assault on a way of life that embodies decency, community, and friendship.
We know that from this devastation and deep mourning, the people of New Zealand will unite to show that such evil can never defeat compassion and tolerance.
We send our thoughts and prayers to everyone in New Zealand today.